Re: Jump to a record when searching MYSQL with PHP Paging?

I would guess this would depend highly on how you're displaying the data.

Let's set up a scenario:

1. Full results come out to say, 100 records.

2. Searched item is #53 in the result set.

Your choices for displaying the data could be one of the following:

* One big web page, jumping to the result.  In this case, you could use the <a name="something"> anchor tag and jump to it with http://www.someurl.com/page.php#something
You'd use this same method if you were displaying the results in an iframe

* Display list in a scrollable frame like a select, select multi.  In which case just use the 'SELECTED' to highlight the result item. Don't know if it's possible (or easily possible) to move to the item if it's in a multi select.

* Display a 'window' of the full results.  Like items 33 to 73 (20 before and after 53, being the search result item) for instance.  In this case, you don't need to get all the results, just use the LIMIT command if you're using MySQL and pull that 'window' if you know it's position before-hand.  Or pull all the results and parse through the results and display just that segment.

The short answer really comes down to one of two things (I love lists):

1. Use HTML or something non-PHP to jump to the item.  the named anchor tag is one of the most common

or..

2. Use PHP to output a segmetn of the data and visually highlight (with color changes or whatever) the item.  But still you're going to rely on HTML and/or Javascript and/or CSS for the 'jumping to' bit.

Good luck however it works out.  I think if you keep searching, you'll find some examples or some mechanisms for doing what you want to do, but PHP is going to be secondary to what you're trying to do.

-TG