learning classes not sure how to do this correctly

just starting to get used to classes, trying to figure out what i am
doing wrong, i know its going to be something stupid on my part,
probably really shouldn't be using a if statement or something heh

just doing a basic email verification to make sure its looks like email
addy

so i take the post to a var

PHP Code:
$email_address = $_POST['email_address'];

run it through this function in my class

PHP Code:
function check_email($address){
        if (ereg('^[a-zA-Z0-9_\.\-]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$',
$address))
            return true;
        else
            return false;
    }

and then if true i want it to continue on with the script or error out
and quit back to the other page and display the error. so i have tried
something like this and stuff similar but get a error
Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in

PHP Code:
if (!$keclass->check_email($email_address)) {
    $keclass->seterr(555);
    include('test.php');
    exit();
}

$keclass->seterr(000);
include('test.php');
exit();

the seterr is just a simple thing that takes the number and puts in a
session var for latter display...