Re: learning classes not sure how to do this correctly

macha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> just starting to get used to classes, trying to figure out what i am
> doing wrong, i know its going to be something stupid on my part,
> probably really shouldn't be using a if statement or something heh
>
> just doing a basic email verification to make sure its looks like email
> addy
>
> so i take the post to a var
>
> PHP Code:
> $email_address = $_POST['email_address'];
>

> run it through this function in my class
>
> PHP Code:
> function check_email($address){
>         if (ereg('^[a-zA-Z0-9_\.\-]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$',
> $address))

please consider using the preg_*() functions instead of the posix based
regexp funcs; read here to get a feel of why the preg_*() funcs are 'better':

	http://php.net/manual/en/ref.regex.php

also you could shorten the function a little like so;

function check_email($address) {
	return (boolean) ereg('^[a-zA-Z0-9_\.\-]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\-]+.[a-zA-Z0-9\-\.]+$',$address);
}

>             return true;
>         else
>             return false;
>     }
>

> and then if true i want it to continue on with the script or error out
> and quit back to the other page and display the error. so i have tried
> something like this and stuff similar but get a error
> Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in

$keclass is not an object. you need to do something like this
before you use $keclass (where 'YourClass' is the name of your class):

$keclass = new YourClass;