Re: Error Display

Craige Leeder wrote:
> I have been working with PHP5 since it's release, and until a few
> months ago, have never experienced the problem I am about to describe
> to you. I am not sure weather it has been discovered previously or
> not, nor do I know exactly how to replicate it, but I would like to
> know if you have encountered the problem as well. The problem is this:
>
> I have noticed that there appears to be (fatal) errors that do not
> show when they occur in an included file. The script simply halts
> execution, and returns headers to the browser. I do not have a list of
> the errors that do not display, but I do not believe it applies to all
> fatal errors.
>
> The errors show perfectly fine when the file is called directly from
> the php parser (/through the browser), just not when included. This is
> an extreme annoyance, and would like to know if it has been
> discovered. As far as I can tell, the errors seem to apply mostly to
> Objects and classes, but I cannot be certain. I have not run too many
> tests on the problem.

I have run into this issue since almost the beginning of php5 - never
really have got a handle on it.

what I do know is that it's, in my case, always/only occurs in cases
where syntax error causes an included file to fail to parse. I also
know that it's only occurs when the complexity of an application
rises above a certain level - I've never been able to reproduce

using a debugger to step through code that is giving the blank page
always makes the fatal error 'appear' (i.e. the debugger returns
the error) - at least that is what I found when I last test ZDE.

whenever I get the blank screen of death (PBSOD?) I run the following
cmdline in the root directory of the project in question (you
may need to change it a bit to suit your needs), it quickly tells you
what is not parsing (it assumes your code is running on a real OS ;-):

	find . -name \*.php \! -exec php -l {} \;

> Although it should not need to be stated, I do have error reporting
> set to E_ALL.

are you sure there is nothing changing the error_reporting or display_errors
somewhere in the code (maybe some third party code) - I vaguely remember being
caught out by Smarty's error handling code with respect to this problem.

anyway no real answers from me, but at least you know your not alone ;-)