security and .htaccess

Hi,

I'm working on .htaccess file for improving security.
Based on documentation from PHPSEC.org, we should be able to store DB_USER
login and DB_PASS password in some secret-stuff (for example) file, which
should be located outside root of web document root. (for example in some
/path_to_secret folder)

normally we should configure httpd.conf file to include this secret-stuff
file, but in my case, i have a web hoster who does not allow me to modify
the httpd.conf.
However, i should be able to setup an .htaccess file.

How can i setup/include this secret-stuff file in this .htaccess file
(without decreasing security) ?

thanks a lot.

Alain
Windows XP SP2