Re: Self generating variables/arrays

On Sun, November 26, 2006 12:19 am, jekillen wrote:
> I am writing some code that will format results of a search for
> display.
> I need to split an array into several different arrays but I won't
> know
> before hand how many, so, I am looking for a way to dynamically
> generate arrays for this purpose.
> My present direction is to use the following code:
>
> for($i = 0; $i < $c; $i++)
>      { eval('$a_'.$i.' = array();'); }
>
> Where '$c' is the derived number of arrays need to hold the
> pieces of the bigger array. My confusion, though, is; since
> these are created in the scope of the for loop, I don't know
> if I can use them elsewhere in the code. The Global statement
> sends them outside the scope of the function this code is in,
> or does it? And I'm not even sure I am on the right track.
> Perhaps someone can say yay or nay on the spot, if not
> I can go back and do some experimenting.

PHP has only 2 places where "scope" changes:
#1 global "script" scope
#2 function [name] () { [scope change] }

Obviously, class properties are also bound to the class...

All of this is moot, however, as you are working WAY to hard to
pre-define the arrays.

PHP is quite happy to have you just do:

$a[7][13] = 42;

And it will define the arrays needed to make it work.

Using 'eval' here is DEFINITELY the right answer to the wrong
question. :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?