Re: activation through email

On Sat, November 11, 2006 3:26 pm, Google Kreme wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2006, at 12:38 , Ahmad Al-Twaijiry wrote:
>> I know that hotmail is filtering me as a possibly a spammer (because
>> use a shared mail server) and there is nothing I can do about this.
>
> Sure there is, move to a better neighborhood.  And hotmail will not
> block you for being on a shared server unless the others on the
> shared server are spammers.

Correction:

...unless the others on the shared server are BELIEVED BY HOTMAIL TO
BE spammers.

Which, unfortunately, means that hotmail's stupid broken process for
identifying spammers blocks TONS of valid email.

I have given up on hotmail (and AOL, and Yahoo, and...) in this
regard.  Anybody dumb enough to use such email vendor, deserves the
bad service they get, and can't use my site, if their activation email
doesn't get through.  I'm tossing the problem right back on THEIR
vendor's desk where it belongs.

>> so I want to ask you if you have any solution for this ? how can I
>> (in
>> someway) make my scripts check if the email is valid and exists
>> email
>> before I register him without the need to send any password or
>> activation link to his email ?
>
> Well, you can do what some mail servers do, and try to connect to the
> MX for the domain and see if the username is accepted.

No.

Because of the spammers, some MX will lie, both ways, about whether
the email address is valid or not.

> Or, if this is a hotmail specific issue, you can not allow hotmail
> addresses.

No sense blocking them, as some users might actually get them to work.

You should focus on making your registration email LOOK less like spam.

No html-enhanced (cough, cough) email.

No "trigger" words that make it look like spam.

Valid subject.

Real name in the "From:"

etc.

--