Re: activation through email

Ahmad Al-Twaijiry wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a site with around 1000 new users everyday, and when every user
> register my scripts will send a random password to his email.

that many users everyday? might be time to invest in a programmer or 2?
even if your site generates no income there must be some revenue generation
potential that could attract investment. no?

> the problem is that I got many users (specially hotmail users)
> complain that they didn't receive  any email (even in the hotmail junk
> box).
>
> I know that hotmail is filtering me as a possibly a spammer (because I
> use a shared mail server) and there is nothing I can do about this.

there are probably quite a few things you can do to make you
emails appear less spammy than they do now - don't use HTML, include a
valid sender address, er ... check the web and the archives for plenty of
good advice on making emails your site send less spammy-looking.

> now I stooped  sending the password to the users email and I just make
> the user chose his own password and he can login directly without the
> need to check his email for the password.
>
> but the problem now is that many users are registering with a fake
> emails :(
>
> so I want to ask you if you have any solution for this ? how can I (in
> someway) make my scripts check if the email is valid and exists email
> before I register him without the need to send any password or
> activation link to his email ?

someone else pointed out that you could use the MX server to ask whether
an account exists ... this is a potentiall slow process and should be done
as a batch job (e.g. using cron to run a email addr checking script once a day)