Re: Microsoft Partners With Zend

Here is the actual demo given:
http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2006/10/31/PHP-on-IIS.aspx

As seen my numbers were off a little bit from memory.

I'm not sure exactly what the kernel cache is, it is some thing the
file http.sys thing does and handles requests before IIS even sees
them, I'm thinking it probably is like a thttpd type of server.

Curt.

On 11/2/06, Richard Lynch <ceo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, November 1, 2006 5:53 pm, Curt Zirzow wrote:
> On 11/1/06, steve <iamstever@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 11/1/06, Daevid Vincent <daevid@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Personally I'm unsure. I would like to think that Zend is smart
>> enough to
>> > realize M$ tactics of embrace/extend and will not allow that to
>> happen.
>>
>> MS added a FastCGI module to IIS. Thats the big thing.
>
> They demo'd it at the zend conference with IIS7 on vista (installed on
> a macbook pro), there is also a bunch of work zend has done to improve
> speed.. the non improved php5 version benched like 30 requests/sec,
> the zend patched  version did over 100 requests/sec.
>
> Then they demo'd the kernel cache; 6500 requests/sec. (and no i didn't
> typo and add an extra zero).

Could you expand the term "kernel cache" to a formal name so I know if
that's an MS technology I don't care about, or a general Zend
technology that might apply to LAMP, which I'd be interested in
reading more about?

Thanks.

Cuz, frankly, 6500 per sec is nice, but not at the expense of Windows
and its inherent out-of-the-box instability versus the years of
l'arnin' I'd have to do to get a stable Win box.

I don't even host my own sites -- I'd much rather pay some other guy
$20/mo per site to let them have the 4am pager and reading every
security bulletin to figure out what matters.  And that's on LAMP!