Re: Changing the Action attribute of Form

2On Wed, November 1, 2006 9:20 am, sues wrote:
> I need to pass control of a form to either a page that accesses our
> database, and displays the data, OR to a page that contains static
> content.
> The ACTION attribute will then depend on the contents of 1 of the
> input
> fields in the form, which is a SELECT type of input. Here is an
> example of
> what the form looks like:
>
> <form id="test" action="some_page.php" method="get" name="test">
>  <select name="test_item" size="1">
>       <option value="1">Item 1</option>
>       <option value="2">Item 2</option>
> </select>
> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit" />
> </form>
>
> If "Item 1" is selected, I want to go to a certain page
> (some_page.php), and
> if "Item 2" is selected I want to go to a different page.  Is there a
> way to
> handle this using PHP or JavaScript?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated!

The exact way YOU describe it, it happens *LONG* after PHP is finished
running on the server, it can't be PHP.

So it must be JavaScript.

Which means it will maybe sorta work, unless I turned off JavaScript,
which I probably did.

Perhaps, instead, you could have your script do more like this:

<?php
  switch($_REQUEST['test_item']){
    case '1': require "static_page.htm"; break;
    case '2': require "dynamic_stuff.php"; break;
    default:
      error_log("Probably hack attempt $_REQUEST[test_item]");
      exit;
    break;
  }
?>

In this solution, you don't rely on flaky JavaScript being there, or
not, or maybe working, or not.

Plus, this solution is actually on-topic. :-)

YMMV

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?