RE: How do I get ini_set('output_handler', '') to work?!

> There is nothing to "re-compile" here.
> The command line has an existing flag for you to specify the php.ini
> file, or to override any setting[s] within the php.ini file.

Mebbe so, but that's equally obnoxious to pass this command line parameter
to a lot of existing scripts. It's just easier to re-compile and 'globally'
set the output_handler in a different php.ini file to what it used to be
before we optimized. This script issue has just started to rear it's ugly
head as we used to just use the default handler till recently. Our web pages
work great (obviously), but we've noticed strangeness with the CLI stuff.
Hence this dilemna.

> Bottom line, you can't step in the same river twice, and if php.ini
> tells PHP to set up an ob_* handler before your script runs, it's
> impossible to "undo" that just because you changed a setting that's
> already been acted upon.

I would agree if PHP used a one-pass parser. But there is a pre-parsing to
lint check and other 'setup' stuff. Seems that could utilize and prepare the
set_ini() for the second pass which runs the actual script.

Nothing is "impossible". It's just not implemented.