Re: Remote Robot Control with PHP

Cool!

On 10/31/06, Prathaban Mookiah <prathap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello List,

I thought of sharing my experience of writing a controller to remotely
control a robot through a webserver using PHP. Though I could not use PHP
alone to do the entire job due the high delay it takes to connect to the
telnet port on the robot, (I adopted the PHPTelnet class written by Antone
Roundy - http://www.geckotribe.com/php-telnet/), I could not resist using it
for some part of the application.

So the model I used for my purpose is this:

Browser ---------> WebServer  ---------> Java  --------> Robot
          AJAX                  PHP

I used PHP to communicate between the Java program which I run in the
background and the AJAX calls from the browser. This setup works fine for my
purposes and satisifies the strict time constraints.

If someone has a better idea of implementing this thing in PHP, please do let
me know your comments.

There is a lot more to do in this project and I hope to make use of PHP a lot
along the way. This is a NSF funded project and this work will be published
in some leading journals. What I am excited about is the prospect of putting
in a word about PHP in these journals, since as far as I know, it is not too
well known in the academic circles.

Regards,

Prathap