Re: Stupid question of the day (Editing text file in $HOME via web)

On Tue, October 31, 2006 1:34 am, Google Kreme wrote:
> So, do I whack up something where I just load the file into a HTML
> Textarea and then write it back (simple enough, though possibly
> rather dangerous), or is there something straightforward I should go
> ahead and use that might find use elsewhere on the server?

The unanswered question is:

How many people might try to edit it at once, and what will you do to
resolve race conditions?

Whipping up a TEXTAREA for a single admin person who is in charge of
this file, and the only one to edit it under normal circumstances,
would work fine.

Doing that for a team of 100 people who have access to this file will
end up with somebody very cranky when their 1000-entry addition got
over-written by another user fixing a small typo.

Other solutions to consider:
1. Put the "file" in a database as individual (AAA) XXX-NNNN records,
and the "file" can be generated from the DB every time it changes with
a trigger, or every day or something reasonable.  Having individual
records for each line reduces the damage of the race condition to a
single entry needing to be re-done.  You can also more easily find
code to handle the race condition for the DB in a web environment.

2. Put the file into subversion or CVS, if all editors are developers.

3. Forget the web interface, because the file won't really change that
often anyway, and just use 'vi' to make the rare change. :-)

There likely *IS* a web tool "out there" just like you want...

My first guess would be to check out the various "panel" solutions for
having a web interface that webhosts provide to edit what is
essentially a simple text file, which configures the web server, mail
server, ftp server, etc.  These all have all the exact same issues you
will face, so there might be one that fits your needs.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?