Re: A no brainer...

On Mon, October 16, 2006 8:20 pm, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>     So no, it makes no sense for a database to be faster than
>     filesystem.

The database may, or may not, have finely-tuned a lot of things to
write their records more quickly/efficiently than the PHP approach of
writing individual files for each session.

E.g., if the DB has allocate a larger chunk of disk-space, and is
micro-managing it, and doing fread/fwrite in an fopen(, 'r+')
environment (or similar) it *MIGHT* be more efficient than PHP's
method -- even *with* the DB overhead you point out.

The *only* way to be certain of any benchmark is to run it on your own
hardware, and the only way to be certain that has any meaning is to
make the benchmark as much like the "real world" as you can.

And, as I have said alread in this thread, raw performance is seldom
the be-all end-all of software develoment decisions.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?