Re: A no brainer...

On Oct 14, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Tony Di Croce wrote:

I think that the cost of de-serializing a session stored in files should be significantly LESS than the cost of doing so through a database, for the following reasons:

1) The db will need to parse querys. Not an issue for files.
2) The session ID will tell PHP what file to open in O(1).
3) The entire session needs to be de-serialized, not just some portion of it. The database is optimized for returning subsets of all the data.

Sorry Tony, I should have been more clear. I already know that storing session data in MySQL is faster than storing it in files. I know that goes against what you're saying, but there are some examples if you Google "PHP MySQL session performance". One of the more interesting examples is http://shiflett.org/articles/guru-speak- jan2005. PHP session management defaults to files because it's more portable and the performance difference doesn't matter for small sites with few concurrent users. MySQL also provides better scaleability and security for session data.