Setting PHP to use SMTP

PHP List,

In an effort to make emails that I send through PHP scripts not be mistaken for spam, it seems that one thing I need to do is make sure that the emails are sent via SMTP.

Right now, if I check my PHP generated emails with Spamassassin, it says:

-0.0 NO_RELAYS Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP

It's not deducting points, but I think the fact that it mentions it indicates I might be better off using SMTP.

Looking at phpinfo, it says this about my PHP/SMTP settings:

sendmail_from no value no value
sendmail_path /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
SMTP localhost localhost

I take this to mean that I don't have a default "from" address, but that it knows where my SMTP server is.

However, the last variable, where it's set to "localhost", is not so clear to me. Does this mean PHP is using the SMTP server on localhost? Does this need to be changed in order for PHP to actually send via SMTP since it doesn't seem to be doing so now?

Beyond that, I have some follow up questions:

My virtual hosting service is the kind where I have two IP addresses, and I can add as many domain names as I want to my account. Does that mean that if I set a default email address in "sendmail_from" that it will apply to all my domains? Is there a way to localize the setting on a domain by domain basis? Or is this a question I need to take to my hosting service provider?

And last... how exactly do I set the variables? Do I have to manually edit php.ini and then restart Apache? Is there a command I should be running?

Thank you for any and all advice.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS