Re: Crossing over to the Darkside?

# ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxx / 2006-10-14 13:52:50 +0100:
> Having used php for a while now and am fairly competent I was persuaded by a
> collegue to look into asp.net.  I decided to download the free trial of
> VS2005 and start with a few tutorials.
>
> I am very suprised how easy  things like user auhtentication and form
> validation is. Literally in minutes. Even though I have written a similar
> script many times for php there is always some tweeking or modifying
> required before it fits the project.
>
> The asp object model is far superior,

    That's a comparision of code you wrote in PHP with code Microsoft
    programmers wrote in C#, and has nothing to do with PHP.

> something that PHP developers can't really argue against.

    It's hard to say either way since you didn't show us your code.

    Are you aware that you're comparing libraries, not programming
    languages?  There's a gazillion authentication libraries written
    in PHP to choose from if you can't write one yourself.

> Now I know asp .net is not ideal for all projects but I am now
> thinking that there are some projects that would be suited to the use
> of .net and the development time would be greatly reduced.

    Well, libraries boost development.

> I would like to know
>
> -What is planned for the next version of PHP?
> -How many of  you use both of the technologies?
> -What influences your decision when using either ASP, .NET, or PHP

    License.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.