Re: gd for php5 under RH ES4

On Wed, October 11, 2006 1:36 pm, Doug Fulton wrote:
> I am trying to use the php gd library (for imagecreate, etc) with php5
> under Red Hat ES4.  I tried installing php-gd via webmin (which in
> turn,
> I see, uses up2date), but get the following error in the apache error
> log when restarting:
> PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
> '/usr/lib/php4/gd.so' - /usr/lib/php4/gd.so: undefined symbol:
> empty_string in Unknown on line 0
>
> I don't know if the problem is that php-gd is a php4 library or there
> is
> something else that I need to install or do.  I saw something about
> php5-gd, but webmin/up2date can't find anything by this name.
>
> I have searched for a bit on this without joy; any guidance is
> appreciated.  I am not a system administrator by training, but am a
> longtime Unix programmer, so I can handle reasonably low level
> instructions, if necessary.  I did post this to a Red Hat list without
> any reply so far.

The way I see it, you have 2 choices:

#1. Convince webmin and/or up2date and/or RedHat to fix their broken
installer dependencies.

#2. Compile the PHP GD extension, and GD itself probably, from source.

Actually, you could dink around some more with up2date to be sure you
have GD itself installed first -- That might be the problem, and would
be trivial to fix.

There are 3 pieces to this puzzle that you must install and also match
up version-wise:
GD
PHP
PHP GD extension