Re: Custom Session Handler

On Thu, September 28, 2006 8:37 pm, Glenn Richmond wrote:
> As for open sourcing it, that call's up to my employer, but it may
> actually be a requirement (not that familiar with the license on php
> source).

Unless I'm very mistaken, there is no requirement for them to
OpenSource it!

> Anyway, they're fairly pro-open souce, so it's likely that
> it'll get released back into the source tree. I'd say the biggest
> benefit from my point of view is not having to re-merge the changes in
> for every release of PHP :)

There is that too.

> Who do I talk to about becoming a developer on the php source?

For adding an extension, I believe the process is:
Introduce yourself and suggested extension name on pecl-dev AT lists
DOT php DOT net
Providing access to the source is probably also good at that point.
They bat around your suggestion for awhile, and argue about the name,
hopefully briefly, and the relative merits of the extension, hopefully
even more briefly.
Then you apply for an account on http://pecl.php.net/
You upload your project, and bob's yer uncle, as I understand it.

You can also just publish the extension on your own site as
OpenSource, in the meantime, being prepared to 302 redirect (303?) to
PECL at a later date -- That may be the fastest way to market if
you're in the usual "fire drill" mode of work. :-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm