undefined function bindtextdomain()

Hello,

I am trying to setup vexim (admin panel for handling domains in exim) and
I am getting an error that I thought I would ask you to help me
troubleshoot if possible.

Namely, when I start apache and try to open vexim panel, apache shows no
errors (just a blank page) but in the error log I read this:

PHP Fatal error:  Call
 to undefined function bindtextdomain() in
/usr/local/www/data-dist/domainpanel/
vexim2/vexim/config/i18n.php on line 6

I googled the problem and found out that I need gettext compiled as php
module, so I reinstalled php and made sure gettext is included.
Unfortunately, it has not helped. I have:

apache-2.0.59
php5-5.1.6
and (among many other php extenstions/modules) gettext-0.14.5_2.

It might be that it is a vexim issue, but if you have seen such a problem
before, I would appreciate your comment/advice.

Thank you very much indeed!

Warm regards,

--
Zbigniew Szalbot