Re: Re: character set when sending emails with PHP

Manuel Lemos wrote:

Hello,

on 08/29/2006 09:04 AM Angelo Zanetti said the following:
I have various PHP CRONTAB scripts that run and send automated emails to
people, the subject often contains the "TM" character: ™, in most of the
email clients the character shows correctly but in some webmail
applications the character is replaced with a square, it obviously
doesnt recognise the character. Now if I forward one the mails from the
email client to the webmail account it then recognises and shows the
character correctly? Very weird as it is the same mail just forwarded,
is the problem that the mail forwarded from the email client uses a
different content type when sent? The one specified in the PHP script is
as follows:

$mail->setHeader("Content-type", "text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1");

Or is there something wrong with the charset that I'm specifying above?

The content-type header only applies to that message body part. The
character set of the headers is defined in a different way using q-encoding.

Take a look at this class that lets you define headers with whatever
encoding and character set you need to use:

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

hi Manuel.

thanks for the reply, I've got the classes now how do I know which character set to use for the TM to be shown correctly?

Thanks in advance.
Angelo Zanetti
Systems developer

*Telephone:* +27 (021) 469 1052