Re: Re: character set when sending emails with PHP

Hello,

on 08/30/2006 06:48 AM Angelo Zanetti said the following:
>>> I have various PHP CRONTAB scripts that run and send automated emails to
>>> people, the subject often contains the "TM" character: ™, in most of the
>>> email clients the character shows correctly but in some webmail
>>> applications the character is replaced with a square, it obviously
>>> doesnt recognise the character. Now if I forward one the mails from the
>>> email client to the webmail account it then recognises and shows the
>>> character correctly? Very weird as it is the same mail just forwarded,
>>> is the problem that the mail forwarded from the email client uses a
>>> different content type when sent? The one specified in the PHP script is
>>> as follows:
>>>
>>> $mail->setHeader("Content-type", "text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1");
>>>
>>> Or is there something wrong with the charset that I'm specifying above?
>>>

>> The content-type header only applies to that message body part. The
>> character set of the headers is defined in a different way using
>> q-encoding.
>>
>> Take a look at this class that lets you define headers with whatever
>> encoding and character set you need to use:
>>
>> http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage
>
> thanks for the reply, I've got the classes now how do I know which
> character set to use for the TM to be shown correctly?

I think chr(153). I can see it with iso-8859-1 but I am not sure if it
is a legal character for this character set. You can always specify
windows-1252 as character set to make sure it works.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.metastorage.net/