From: Jochem Maas [mailto:jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:06 PM
To: Peter Lauri
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  preg_match

Peter Lauri wrote:
> Hi,
>

> How do I add so that it checks for a comma , in this preg_match. I think
the
> documentation is not that good for the pref_match:

it's a lot better than you spelling of preg_match. the subject of regexps is
very
complex, the documentation reflects that - but to call them 'not that good'
is
rather a disservice to the people that wrote them imho.

I taught myself regexps primarily using the php docs -
which is a testament to how good they are. :-)

> preg_match('/^[a-z0-9-_\'() +]*$/i', $s);

$q = chr(39); // makes for easier cmdline testing !?E#$@
function test($s) {
	global $q;
	echo "\"$s\" is ",(preg_match("#^[a-z0-9\\-_\\$q\\(\\), \\+]*$#i",
$s)?"true":"false"),"\n";
	// I escaped everything char that has special meaning in a regexp
	// backslashes are themselves escaped in double quotes strings.
	// I used different regexp delimiters (#) - just my preference
}

test("foo");
test(",");
test("()");