Re: apc and ZendPlatform

Rick Emery wrote:

>> be gained from running both (for opcode caching)
>
> Okay. We haven't seen any problems so far. I just "discovered" the
> documentation  (which was in such an obvious location that I'm
> embarassed I didn't find it last time I looked: http://www.php.net/apc),
> and it looks like we have apc.optimization turned off. In the
> documentation, it looks like optimization is experimental, so I guess
> we'd be better off sticking with Zend Optimizer and using apc for data
> caching (I guess what I really want is to know if people agree or
> disagree)?

apc optimization is in the words of the author still an experiment -
I don't think it will give you anything much at all at this stage in it's
development.

NB: optimization != opcode caching.

optimization involves juggling the compiled code (the opcodes) so that
they do [exactly] the same in less operations

opcode caching involves caching whatever [possibly optimized] opcodes were
created when compiling a script so that second and subsequent calls to a script
can skip the compile stage completely (which would mean that if an opcode cache
was in affect the optimization would also only need to occur 'once')

find the file named apc.php and use it (as documented) to discover exactly
what apc is doing on your setup... my guess is that apc is caching opcodes for you
(given the settings you mentioned) and that your Zend setup does not include
an opcode cache [but it is optimizing whatever is being compiled] - my knowledge of
the Zend stuff is patchy at best - I don't really know which of their various packages
offer what kind of functionality.

> I need to be able to cache data. If I set apc.cache_by_default to off,
> can I still cache data within the application using apc_store and
> apc_fetch?

yes.