Re: apc and ZendPlatform

Rick Emery wrote:
> We're running Zend Platform on a server that also has apc installed;
> we're using apc in the scripts to cache data, and I understand (I think)
> that it also does bytecode

also often referred to as 'opcode' caching

> caching.

correct.

> Zend Platform includes a php accelerator, which (I think) is also
> caching bytecode.

AFAIK also correct.

> Does anybody know if we'll see adverse effects from this?

only if you turn on both accelerators (opcode caches) - at least trying
to run both is more than likely to open up a whole can of worms and leave your
webpages fairly blank. I can't see how they could work together and given that
they do the same job (as far as opcode caching is concerned) there is nothing to
be gained from running both (for opcode caching)

> apc comes with a cool page (apc.php) that shows information about its
> cache. While it shows that scripts are being cached, it's showing 0 hits
> for all of them. That seems wrong to me, but I may be mis-understanding it.
>
> Does anybody have any insight?

check what phpinfo() is saying about your apc settings.
my guess is apc.cache_by_default is set to false and apc.filters is empty ...
which affectively means no files will be cached ... it could be then the zend platform is
forcefully setting this at start up to avoid a conflict/crash/segfault/whatever.