Re: working on a template system...

2006/6/28, Jon Anderson <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I really don't understand why people have such disregard for PHP as a
template system... I'm not saying one way is better or worse (it's
really a matter of preference), just that the PHP way isn't implicitly
bad or messy...

/* The Smarty way */
$smarty->assign('display_variable',$display_variable);
{* template *}
<dl>
  {foreach key=key item=var from=$display_variable}
  {/foreach}
</dl>

/* The PHP way */
<dl>
  <?php foreach ($display_variable as $key => $var) { ?>
    <dt><?= $key?></dt><dd><?= $var ?></dd>
  <?php } /* end foreach ($display_variable) */ ?>
</dl>

Is it really *that* bad?

jon

Martin Alterisio wrote:
> 2006/6/28, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> > Because.... it's a mess.
>>
>> Agreed. Mr. nail, come meet Mr. hammer :B
>

> And keep Mr. hammer away from Mr. finger

Have you (all of you questioning the use of templates) ever worked in a
project with more than one developer, where part of the team ARE NOT coders?
WE understand code, but that's not the case for everyone else. Graphic
designers don't like code, they even don't like html for crying out loud (I
think they have a good point there btw). Editor, writers, marketing people
they all give a damn about php and the like, but, still they need or want to
mess up with how things look like, and they really don't like the idea of
having to wait two laboral days to change the fricking color of a link, or
have an newsletter email typo corrected. They need templates, they love
templates. Just put it in dreamweaver (or the like), fix the look, upload
and we're back on business, why the hell should I have to call the damn
coder?

The net has been developed by amateurs long enough (no offense, just
introspective). If we are to became more professional, we'll need the right
tools, templates is just one of those tools.