Re: working on a template system...

At 5:34 PM -0300 6/28/06, Martin Alterisio wrote:
>Have you (all of you questioning the use of templates) ever worked in a
>project with more than one developer, where part of the team ARE NOT coders?
>WE understand code, but that's not the case for everyone else. Graphic
>designers don't like code, they even don't like html for crying out loud (I
>think they have a good point there btw). Editor, writers, marketing people
>they all give a damn about php and the like, but, still they need or want to
>mess up with how things look like, and they really don't like the idea of
>having to wait two laboral days to change the fricking color of a link, or
>have an newsletter email typo corrected. They need templates, they love
>templates. Just put it in dreamweaver (or the like), fix the look, upload
>and we're back on business, why the hell should I have to call the damn
>coder?
>
>The net has been developed by amateurs long enough (no offense, just
>introspective). If we are to became more professional, we'll need the right
>tools, templates is just one of those tools.

Martin:

I can appreciate your perspective, but that's your perspective.

I don't think the use of templates should be a yardstick to measure professionalism.

Now, I assume that you didn't mean your claim to sound that way, but I think there's real danger in trying to define tools with "professional and accepted" ways of doing things.

If all "professional and accepted" ways of doing things had been left to the professionals, then we certainly would not be as technically advanced as we are today -- not brag, just fact!

There's a reason why the newest inventions and innovations come from "amateurs" and not those in the work force known as the accepted "professional".

tedd