Re: Re: File Download Headers

On Thu, June 15, 2006 3:04 am, Barry wrote:
> Richard Lynch schrieb:
>> and are all you can find from Google?
> O_o
>
>> Anybody?
> What?!?
>

> I for myself use this:
> header("Content-Type: application/force-download");
> header("Content-Type: application/octet-stream");
> header("Content-Type: application/download");
>
> Never had any problems with any browser.

You might as well delete the first two lines.  They don't do anything.

The last line "works" in the sense that no browser currently has any
pre-defined idea of what to *DO* with an "application/download"
because that's not a known MIME-type.

So the browser "punts" and presents a download window, because it has
NO IDEA what else to do.

Some goofball MADE UP application/download and "it worked"

If, however, tomorrow, some MS weenie decides that the Right Thing to
do with application/download is to store it in "My Documents" because
that's where everybody wants all the downloads to go, right?, then it
WILL NOT WORK tomorrow.

It's that simple.  IE 8 could decide application/download means "Put
it in My Documents" and you no longer have a download popup.

There is NOTHING to stop the MS engineers from doing that to you.

Nada.

BUUUUUT:

application/octet-stream is DEFINED in the HTTP SPEC to ALWAYS WORK.
Any browser that ever makes it not work is BADLY BROKEN.
They cannot change this tomorrow, without being non-HTTP-compliant,
and breaking backwards compatibility with a zillion Documented
Features.

So, use some goofball header that you make up, like:
header("Content-type: asdfqwerowiru/werouitohvosdfho");
and it will "work"

Or, realy on a DOCUMENTED FEATURE and use:
header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");

Your choice, really, though obviously I have a strong opinion on which
one is the Right Way to do it.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm