File Download Headers

Can any experts on this list explain to me why, despite the 1,000,000
places that application/octet-stream is documented to work, and has
always worked, since Mosaic 1.0 days, people manage to find these
goofball Content-type: headers that are supposed to work, but only
work in a handful of browsers, and then they write tutorials as if
it's the Right Way, and then those tutorials get past alleged Editors,
and are all you can find from Google?

Anybody?

Cuz I really just don't understand why I'm seeing this same damn
question about 5 times PER DAY between here and IRC ##php

I just do not understand what is the aversion is to:

IT WORKS!

ALL BROWSERS!

FOR ALL TIME!

TRY IT!!!

Mosaic 1.0, works.
IE, all versions, works.
Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox, all versions, works
Safari, all versions, works.
Lynx, all versions, works.

It JUST WORKS!

Why, oh why, are we endlessly seeing posts and tutorials using other
headers that DO NOT WORK ON ALL BROWSERS.

* Yes, ALL browsers, including Mosaic 1.0, thank you very much.

This post was partially made in the probably futile hope that maybe
somebody will find it and use it so I don't answer this question 5
times again tomorrow.

Thank you.

:-)

--