Re: Does PECL install modify my php.ini? or even look at it?

Richard Lynch wrote:
On Tue, May 16, 2006 10:34 am, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:
Richard Lynch wrote:
On Thu, May 11, 2006 6:02 pm, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:
   > pecl install memcache
s it possible that pecl has an --extension-dir flag to tell it
WHERE
to install stuff, or perhaps an optional command line arg or ...
Cuz, really, the odds on it being where you want it to be are pretty
slim.
Odds would be increased if 'pecl' would look at what I've already
declared in the PHP.ini file ;-)
Okay, then you need to add a parameter to the command line to tell
pecl where your php.ini file is, because it is *NOT* going to be in
the place pecl "thinks" it will be on many many many machines.
/usr/bin/php knows where the php.ini file is and /usr/bin/pecl is written
in PHP.  It boils down to an ini_get() call.  Sounds like your fear of
not knowing where the php.ini file is located is already alleviated.

You haven't done anything but change the keywords and force pecl to
dig through a php.ini file instead of just providing the info in the
first place.

Digging through an ini file? I know you aren't trying to tell me that this is difficult drudgery. php already digs/dug through the php.ini file and yes, if I have to provide another command-line argument for something that is already known THAT is drudgery.

But let's not argue this. I've just adopted the default pecl extension dir as my php.ini value so MY problem is solved, but for simple academic debate, I think pecl could/should be smarter (especially if you actually WANT developers to use it).

Dante