Re: Parsing images

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 15:11, tedd wrote:
> At 1:01 PM -0400 5/12/06, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >  > The original poster asked the question -- can it be done. And of
> >>  course, the answer is Yes.
>
> >Just because they may wish they were detecting something simpler such as
> >captcha (maybe, since I could render my captcha to look like medical
> >imagery and so it would be just as difficult to detect), doesn't mean
> >captcha is trivial. I'm not currently aware of too much medical imaging
> >processing that occurs without human intervention. Much of it requires
> >that a human view the results and make an informed decision based on the
> >computers analysis. I think part of your naivety is thinking that the
> >captcha you see right now is as hard as it gets. You are very mistaken.
>
> Mistaken? I've been there before -- and will be again. But, you still
> haven't persuaded me that deciphering a CAPTCHA ranks in any fashion
> whatsoever to the problems that computers are currently solving. It's
> still a trivial problem.

I think you've changed the grounds of the argument. The problem is
fairly trivial in comparison to more important problems. But
implementing the solution is not trivial. When you first made the
trivial comment, you made it sound as though you could whip up a generic
captcha cracking program over the weekend... which is unlikely ;) When
it comes down to it, medical image processing and captcha fall under the
same problem category.

> Thanks for the exchange.

You're welcome :)

Cheers,