Re: Parsing images

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 11:47, tedd wrote:
> At 9:28 AM +0300 5/11/06, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >Hey all, it is possible to parse capcha's in php? I'm not asking how
> >to do it, nor have I any need, it's just something that I was
> >discussing with a friend. My stand was that ImageMagik could crack
> >them. She says no way. What are your opinions?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Dotan Cohen
> >http://what-is-what.com
>
> Of course -- it's trivial.
>
> All images can be broken down into signals and analyzed as such. If
> you have any coherent data, it will show up. If it has to conform to
> glyphs, it most certainly can be identified.
>
> You want something that's not trivial, take a look at medical imaging
> and analysis thereof.

Extracting passcodes from captcha text is not what I'd call trivial.
It's one thing to pull trends out of an image, it's quite another to
know that a curvy line is the morphed vertical base of the capital
letter T. Similarly knowing that the intensity of red in an area is
related to the existence of some radioacive tracer agent, isn't quite
the same as knowing that the curvy letter T might be red, yellow, green,
yellow blended to green,. etc etc. The human eye and brain are amazing
accomplishments, and while someday we may match their ability in code, I
don't think it's this year.

Cheers,
Rob.