Re: Parsing images

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 18:11, Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 1:03 pm, Robert Cummings wrote:
> > Edge detection, noise suppression, and data analysis don't quite
> > equate
> > to recognition. Also 30 years of OCR still requires that the sample be
> > good quality and conform to fairly detectable patterns. If this is so
> > trivial, I await the release of your captcha parser. The spammers
> > would
> > probably pay you millions for it. Where exactly is this bleeding edge,
> > and where can I read more about it? I think you're quite
> > wholeheartedly
> > being naive about the complexity of visual recognition. Prove me
> > wrong.
>
> Hey, I don't need millions, and I can't claim to solve ALL CAPTCHA
> implementations, but show me the hundreds (maybe thousands) and the
> *ONE* CAPTCHA impelementation, and I'll give it my best shot.
>
> I already broke one of them, admittedly a pretty bad stupid one.

This was my point... Tedd indicated this stuff was trivial, the fact
that you can't write it generically suggest otherwise. And as you admit,
the one you broke was a pretty bad stupid one :) Now that's not to say
that an expert in the field of visual recognition won't do better... but
again I'll say, I think it's naive to think that captcha parsing in the
generic is not trivial. IMHO, those sites that offer an audio option,
probably provide an easier way to break through. I'm pretty sure audio
recognition is simpler than visual recognition due to the smaller set (I
imagine anyways) of variables.

Cheers,
Rob.