Re: Re: Browser displays blank page, while request still being handled

On 5/10/06, Rolf Wouters <rolfwouters@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yet another update.

Strange thing happened.  I fixed the problem...  It's not a clean
solution, it's not the right solution, but for now, it'll (have to) do :-)

I changed my little test-script to include directives like
max_input_time, set_time_limit(0) etc.  Than I thought, why not try to
generate some output when copying files!??!  So I did...  and you know
what, all of a sudden I'm seeing my response page every single time I
call my script :-D

So our quick-n-dirty-but-we-know-its-wrong-solution is gonna be to have
the script generate some output (a single space) for each file it has
copied (i.e. print(" ")).
After testing it with the problem-app, we feel confident this is a
viable, temporary, solution.  At least untill we complete our PHP5
rewrite of the Photofresher :-)

I would like to thank all of you for your time, patience and advice.

If anyone has any ideas on why this is working, feel free to let me know :-)

greetz

Rolf

Just for my curiosity... do you know for a fact that the script didn't
finish all the way before outputting data?

Others have mentioned that the browser timeout could be a problem.  So
I'm wondering if your script really was completing all the way, but
the browser just gave up on waiting.  Could you try a little test to
take the spaces back out, and write the output of
connection_status() http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.connection-status.php
to a file to see during each of the copies to see if the browser does go away?

If you've spent too much time on this already that is fine, I was just
curious for future reference. :)