Browser displays blank page, while request still being handled

Hello everybody

I'm having some strange behaviour in a PHP4 app I'm working on.

When I send my request to the server, it returns a blank page to me
within ca. 40 sec.  On the server itself, my request is still being handled.
The script behind the request does the following:

- delete some files
- copy files from dir A to dir B
- read some data from a database and generates some XML-files

(i.e. a basic "publish" procedure)

The problem isn't the script itself, nor the server.  I know this,
because the same code is being used on the same server for other
instances of this application.
The only difference between the problem-app and the other apps is that
the problem app has:
A) a lot more files needing to be copied (number of files and size)
B) a lot more (stale) records in the DB

Another strange thing is, that when I try to view the source code of the
blank page, my browser asks me if I want to send the request again :-(

I've been searching the Web for a long time now, and I'm really
desperate for some answers.  If anyone could help me, even a hint of
where to start, it would be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards and many, many thanks in advance

Rolf Wouters