Re: Sanity checker?

On Wed, May 3, 2006 12:51 pm, Ezra Nugroho wrote:
> I envision a tool that would audit your php code, and tell you if your
> code is good or not, if it has scaling issues, etc, etc. Basically it
> tells if your php code is "sane" or not.

Oooh. I know what you mean.

I call that tool a "Consultant" :-)

Seriously:
What you are attempting to do is pretty much about on par with making
the computer "intelligent" as far as I can tell.

> I have a few ideas of how a sane php code should look like, but I
> certainly don't know everything. That's the reasons behind my earlier
> questions. Basically I am looking for things to check in codes that
> pose
> high running time risks. Or even simpler, I am looking for best
> practices, advices, guidelines that you would give to new php
> developers.

The best advice I can give is:

Read the beginning section of http://php.net/manual/ all the way up to
the first extension functions.

Then read the front-page of each extension you plan to use.

You MUST READ:
http://phpsec.org
Every damn page on that site.
You may not completely understand it all.
So you keep re-reading it as you code until you DO understand it all.

> Does anyone know of any tools to test the sanity of your php code?

I am confident that there are no existing tools such as you describe,
other than syntax checkers.

> If you were to check the sanity of your code, what would you look for?

Everything in http://php.net/faq.php would be a good start.

Make sure all data is validated and scrubbed.

Make sure there is error-checking code for all function return values.

*HOW* you would detect this programmatically is way beyond my
comprehension -- mainly because I don't think it is POSSIBLE.

But I'll tell you one thing: If you can write the tool you describe,
I'd sure be happy to give it a serious trial run.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm