Re: Paged Results Set in MySQL DB with one result

On Wed, May 3, 2006 1:51 pm, Phillip S. Baker wrote:
> I have an interesting problem I would like some ideas on for a
> solution.
> I cannot seem to find any code examples on the net, though I might not
> be looking in the right place really.
>
> I have some articles stored in a MySQL DB.
> What I want is if the article is above a certain length in characters,
> to page article through a few pages for site readability.
>
> So I would want to print X number of words/characters.
> Save the where the pointer is, move on to the next page, and display
> the
> same amount and so on for as many pages as needed.
>
> I know about pulling paged results using the limit function but that
> would not seem to apply as really I would want to page the results
> within one record (one field really).

It's pretty much the same as paging through records, but instead of:

LIMIT $limit OFFSET $offset

you would do:

SELECT substring(monster_text, $offset, $limit) FROM whatever

You will probably then want to dink around with things so that you
don't break your text up in mid-word, but you can do that fairly easy
on the PHP end once you have the chunk of text with
http://php.net/strrpos:

$pos = strrpos($text, ' ');
$next_offset = $offset + $limit - ($limit - $pos);
$text = substr($text, 0, $pos);

There's probably an off-by-one error in that, but you get the idea.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm