Re: Paged Results Set in MySQL DB with one result

Miles Thompson wrote:
At 03:51 PM 5/3/2006, Phillip S. Baker wrote:

Greetings Gents,

However - why do you think paging an article improves readability? What it does do is control the amount of text you display on a page so you can profitably surround it with advertising. It has no effect on readabilty -- that depends on the quality of the writing, clarity and size of font, and line length.

So, give them good dynamic design, a legible font, the ability to resize the type and ensure that the pieces are well-edited and written for easy reading in a browser.

Guess I'm an iconoclast, but when I see an artificially paged article I look for the "Print View" link so I can read it all at once. Heresy! Maybe that's another reason for paging -- you get more hits on the site.

Guess this has been more like a semi-rant, and probably not helpful. <g>

on the contrary you gave arguments based on real world experience. and when I
think about it, sites like 'A list Apart' spring to mind and I can't help thinking
that you have a really good point.

nice one :-)

Cheers - Miles