Re: Need help in identifying a PHP application.

On Thu, April 27, 2006 4:21 am, Ananth Kesari wrote:
> I have a need for an idea management PHP application that gives me an
> UI with multiple fields (text boxes, radio buttons etc.) which
> correspond to different columns of a MySQL database. An user initiates
> this by clicking on an URL, fills in certain fields and submits the
> form. This then creates the tables and should send out a mail to
> certain
> mail ids that there is a new entry. At a later point of time someone
> else can enter info into certain fields (columns of the tables) giving
> the same id as it was created. He should not be able to meddle with
> the
> original fields that user1 had entered. Another user can come at even
> later stage and enter info into a few more fields (columns of the
> tables). All these fields are created at the first stage itself since
> we
> will be fixing the number of fields.
>
> Can you let me know of any application that does all these? If this is
> a wrong forum to ask this type of question, can you tell me where I
> can
> post this query?

phpMyAdmin does a whole lot of this kind of stuff, and has a huge
install-base...

Seems to me that if you rig your database so that later users can't
use ALTER TABLE (nor DROP TABLE) then you're pretty much done.

It's not a real pretty front-end, though, in terms of clueless users,
as it was designed for people who had some idea about how databases
worked.

Other than that, I got nothing in mind that sounds like what you want,
though I suspect most of the CMSes are kind of sort of like that, to
some degree...

You can give a BUNCH of CMS thingies a trial run here:
http://opensourcecms.com/

And I suspect that their forums would be a better place to ask the
original question, as their experts on a plethora of CMSes would know
what most closely matches your needs.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm