Re: Browser-based scanning

On Mon, April 10, 2006 2:33 pm, Dan Harrington wrote:
> I am needing to build a system that allows a user to visit a website
> driven
> by a unix hosted apache web server running PHP, login, and scan an
> image off
> of a TWAIN-compliant scanning device, and upload it to the web server
> where
> PHP and ImageMagick do some post-processing of the image.
>
> Does anyone know of a PHP-based solution that does something like
> this?  The
> link from the scanning device to the web server is the big unknown for
> me.
> Do I have to use ActiveX?  Can ActiveX interface with PHP?

Is the TWAIN device tied to the server?

Cuz PHP runs on the server.

So if the scanner is connected to their desktop, PHP isn't going to be
involved, at all, really.

Your question might be:  "Does anybody know of any web-based
widget/control that can be used to force a user's scanner to operate?"

But then, it has nothing to do with PHP.

The ONLY way you could tie in PHP would be if you were to use PHP-GTK
http://gtk.php.net and if PHP-GTK had some kind of interface/module to
talk to scanners, which I sincerely doubt, but it's at least in the
realm of "possible" instead of "impossible" which is where you are at
right now trying to tie PHP on your web-server to my scanner.

I don't think it's a particularly good idea that you'd be able to mess
with MY scanner from your web-site, thank you very much!

Who knows what sort of private document I might have in my scanner!

Think about this for awhile, and I think you'll realize why your
question not only doesn't make sense, it SHOULDN'T make sense.

Unless you're building a desktop application with PHP GTK.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm