Re: Ajax please....

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 15:54, Manuel Lemos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on 04/08/2006 04:13 PM Robert Cummings said the following:
> > I'm probably just having a bowel movement or something, but I think
> > going with a lib that supports either iframe or xmlhttprequest
> > interchangeably is probably the way to go. While iframe may have more
> > features and less instability surrounding it right now, you can probably
> > bet your ass, xmlhttprequest is going to become the standard for the
> > simple reason that it's purpose was to do this kind of thing, whereas
> > iframes are a dirty little hack :)
>
> Have you tried uploading files with XMLHttpRequest?
>
> Have you tried making a single request with XMLHttpRequest to execute a
> task on the server and obtain progress feedback within the same response?
>
> Have you tried developing a AJAX solution based on XMLHttpRequest for a
> wide audience that applied the latest Microsoft service pack that
> disables ActiveX for IE ?
>
> Once you try common things like this, you will see better which solution
> is the "dirty little hack". ;-)
>

> > I would just hate to have to rewrite everything once iframes start
> > sucking. And no, I don't currently know of an ajax lib that does this,
> > but I'll certainly be making mine do so in the near future :)
>
> Right, once you try things for yourself you will reach the same
> conclusions like I have that XMLHttpRequest is the solution that it
> s*cks. ;-)

You're preaching to the choir. I didn't dispute any of the current
advantages of iframes. If you re-read my message I indicate the status
quo right now favours iframes for functionality and stability but that
the tide will more than likley change in favour of the industry standard
XmlHttpRequest. Nobody likes dirty little hacks, and despite the current
merits of iframes, they remain "a dirty little hack".

Cheers,
Rob.