Re: Ajax please....

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 14:40, Manuel Lemos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on 04/08/2006 10:53 AM Ryan A said the following:
> > Carlin Bingham / Tedd:
> > -----------------------
> > Yes, but then I would have to reload the whole page just to tell the person
> > that the account username was already taken...thats how its "traditionally"
> > done...but I want to try doing it without reloading the whole page...hence
> > Asynchronous JavaScript And XML (AJAX) although the XML part at the end is
> > not really too accurate because from what I see you can (and i have) use
> > AJAX without any XML...in my case it would be AJAH or AJAT (H=HTML, T=TEXT)
> > :-p
>
> There is a misunderstanding here. The X does not necessarily means
> generic XML. It may mean XHTML. Anyway, an AJAX request may server any
> type of data.
>
> Another point is that AJAX does not mean necessarily using
> XMLHttpRequest objects . As you may read in the Wikipedia definition,
> many AJAX frameworks use IFrame.
>
> [-- SNIP PIMPING OF IFRAMES --]

I'm probably just having a bowel movement or something, but I think
going with a lib that supports either iframe or xmlhttprequest
interchangeably is probably the way to go. While iframe may have more
features and less instability surrounding it right now, you can probably
bet your ass, xmlhttprequest is going to become the standard for the
simple reason that it's purpose was to do this kind of thing, whereas
iframes are a dirty little hack :)

I would just hate to have to rewrite everything once iframes start
sucking. And no, I don't currently know of an ajax lib that does this,
but I'll certainly be making mine do so in the near future :)

Cheers,
Rob.