Re: setting the same value to multiple variables

On Mar 30, 2006, at 11:01 PM, Jasper Bryant-Greene wrote:

charles stuart wrote:
if ( 1 == 1 )

^^ what is the point of this?

Just cutting out the long IF statement so everyone didn't have to look past it.

{
$goodToGo = 0; $errorArray[] = "You must declare some goals on Activity 1."; // this block of code does not set each variable to "class= \"errorHere\""; $readingGoalsEnjoymentLabelClass && $readingGoalsInformationLabelClass && $readingGoalsAlphabeticLabelClass && $readingGoalsPrintLabelClass && $readingGoalsPhonologicalLabelClass && $readingGoalsPhoneticLabelClass && $readingGoalsComprehensionLabelClass && $readingGoalsVocabularyLabelClass && $readingGoalsInstructionsLabelClass && $readingGoalsCriticalLabelClass && $readingGoalsCommunicateLabelClass = "class=\"errorHere\"";
}

While this seems like excessively ugly code (have you considered an array? what is the point of all those variables if they all hold the same value?), replace all of those '&&' with '=' and you will be fine. PHP evaluates right-to-left and the result of an assignment is the value that was assigned, so that will work.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

I place the variable in the <label> tag for each of the corresponding inputs (checkboxes in this case). If none are checked (at least one is required) I set an error message at the top of the page and then set a background color on each <label> via the now present class="errorHere".

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but I'm not the best with PHP. I'll look into using an array.

Thanks again for your help. You've shortened my code at least a little bit.

best,

Charles