Re: to check idle time of users

Peter Lauri wrote:
Miles,

Please do not scare away people from the list. There can be many reasons why

he asks this question without looking at the documentation first.

I don't think the idea was to scare him away so much as scare him _to_ the docs...
everyone who has been there knows it takes weeks/months before you start to comprehend
what you read in the docs - but there is no short cut for reading it front to back.

hopefully one day Suresh will come to the list, without the (percieved) high expectations
[in terms of 'prefab' answers], with questions that people find appealing
(I believe you have to 'sell' the question - i.e. answer the question "what's
fun about solving X?".)

if the day comes it will be good for Suresh because he will by definition be a
better programmer.

1: He/She is maybe new to this subject, and do not have a lot of experience
with reading docs.

well he's posted 20 similar questions in 3 months, without replying to
reponses he recieved (of which there have been plenty).

2: He/She maybe don't have English as mother language that will make manuals
difficult to understand etc.

he could ask someone for an explaination - only first he has to point at something
specific that he's stumped on. no?

In the beginning of my "life" in the PHP and web programming world, I found
the docs extremely difficult to understand. You learn by doing, and this is
maybe his way to start to learn.

may we humbly reserve the right to intervene early? before the rot sets in ;-)
actually it looks partly like a culture issue - I get the impression Suresh
is actually being [comparatively] polite according to his culture
(yahoo.in --> indian).

If you find this so "Fergawdsake", just ignore it, someone else might see
this in a deeper way then you seem to do. You just reference to you
knowledge, without being able to reference to others depth of knowledge.

Miles, sit down and read your reply again, and you might learn something you
too.

s/Miles/Jochem/

(or whatever the incantation is)

I'm guilty too.

Best regards,
Peter Lauri

PS! This post might not belong to the list, but I think it is important to

it's okay - it's got the word PHP in it. :-)

address that we can not all be best, we are all at different levels and see
problems different  DS!