RE: Creating a unique index ID

-----Original Message-----
From: Jochem Maas [mailto:jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 9:50 AM
To: Jeff
Cc: Jared.Williams1@xxxxxxxxxxxx; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Creating a unique index ID

Jeff wrote:
> [...]

isn't that called synchronization? not that it matters. :-)

> I've looked at the MySQL docs and can't find anything on how to make
> Auto_Increment work in Circular Replication.

just a thought(tm):

it's probably considered hackish (don't know why) but how about setting
up a seperate server/instance-of MySQL whose ONLY job it is to provide
new ids,
and then configure each system to connect [remotely] to the
aforementioned
db whenever a new id is required... which will probably require some
rewriting if you normally use mysql_insert_id() after a query to
determine an
id (with my proposal you are forced to explicitly generate an id before
hand)

Only problem with that is you start to negate the redundancy of the
mysql setup then.  Because you make everything dependant on that one
server so if it goes down then everything dies.