RE: LDAP and Single Sign On MORE THOUGHTS

Quoting jblanchard@xxxxxxxxxx:

[snip]
Couldn't I write my own cookie to fool the authentication into
thinking I'm somebody else?
[/snip]

I suppose that you could do that if you were savvy enough to realize
that automatic login to the intranet used a cookie for authentication
and you knew how to format the cookie and properly hash a checksum
stored in the cookie. The user information stored in the cookie would be
verified against the AD via LDAP.

First, let me apologize for having to take it to a basic level. I'll admit that I'm fairly new to web development, but this is something I could *really* use at work and I want to make sure I understand (just to set the stage, we use Windows/Active Directory/MS SQL Server at work, but have decided that future applications will be written in PHP run on Linux/Apache).

So I have a login script that sets a cookie when the user logs in. Then I have an application written in PHP that reads the cookie for authentication purposes.

What would I store in the cookie? Would the username be sufficient (since the cookie was set, we can assume that it was already authenticated through AD, right), or is there something more I can add to the cookie to make the process more secure?

Which leads back to my original question; what would keep me from setting a cookie with, say, my manager's username, fooling the PHP application into thinking I'm her?

I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Rick