Re: how to learn php

hello

i have been trying to learn php.

what is the best approach to learning php for someone who has no programming experience?

-snip-

any advice and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

First, welcome to the language.

Second, I suggest that you find a beginner's book -- if not hard-copy, then try this:

http://www.unf.edu/~rita0001/eresources/php_tutorials/index.htm

-- and go through all the examples. Write a program that deals with each example and get it to work.

Now, realize that this is not lost effort because those examples will become your references for future development. Until those examples become second nature to you, you'll be looking back at them time and time again.

I've found that as I code, I build bigger and more specialized routines/libraries that I incorporate into other projects.

Third, develop a style and stick with it. There are different styles that help us in reviewing code. Some programmers have the ability to look at cryptic code and understand it's meaning immediately, while others require more natural language or verbose syntax. Also, even the way you indent can help you in reviewing code. There are several different ways to do that, but you pick something that makes sense to you and be consistent in it's application.

Fourth, and IMO most important, is to develop a manner of documentation. This is simply writing notes to the person who will be reading your code at some point in the future -- which usually is a smarter you. So, do yourself a favor and impress your future self, by documenting what you're doing now.

Now, go forth and be fruitful in your coding.

tedd