Weirdness with PHP FreeBSD/OSX/Linux headers already sent

PHP List,

Perhaps one of you might know the answer to this, because I certainly do
not, nor do any of my coworkers.  The "problem" is that scripts on our OSX
10.4 (our local development machines) and RedHat/Debian linux servers do not
throw the "headers already sent" message.  I could have an entire page of
html, php code, whatever I wish and call session_start() at the bottom of
the page and everything would be fine.  No errors on screen, in error_log,
or anywhere else.

I know this is invalid and so do most webservers/environments because
everywhere else I have ever coded I see the "headers already sent, output
started at" message.  I have used Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD versions of
PHP with Apache 1.3 and 2 and had the error print out as expected.

I want to know if any of you know the reason why this is happening.  I would
prefer the strict error messages to help keep everyones coding in check.
Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me seem to find any configuration
settings which point to this.  Any pointers or help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you in advance!