Re: Smarty Templates?

starting a new topic by replying to an existing thread is
bad form - we know how much work it is to click on the 'new mail'
button and fill in an address but please make the effort (it's in your
interest as well!).

with regard to Smarty why not try searching for existing writing on the subject?

e.g. http://www.google.com/search?q=pros+and+cons+of+Smarty+template+engine

as to opinion :: the only one that counts is yours - just make sure
you take the time to form it based on something more than 3rd hand waffle :-)

here is my waffle:

PRO:
	1. well maintained/developed
	2. decent coders involved
	3. large/active userbase
	4. helpful mailing list
	5. lots of docs
	6. lots of 'extension' (big word for 'user contributed stuff')
	7. proven in production
	8. free (as in cost)

CON:
	1. overkill for some projects
	2. enforces/emphasises/favors a particular design workflow/strategy
	3. caching/compile funcrtionality is unclear (I can't figure out how
	   to implement it in 'complex' datadriven applications - like for instance
	   the frontend to a custom webshop system)
	4. ability to use php objects in the templates is restricted somwhat
	  (much more relevant to usage with php5 objects - e.g. dereferenced object method syntax)

now go and read the web, download Smarty and make yuour own mind up.

R. Van Tassel wrote:
I'm contemplating using Smarty Templates for a website and was wondering
what opinions on them, pro or con, may be.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

-Roy