global variable declaration

hai,
       this is my sample code:
                        i am having user table  with SponsorID as one field in mysql  database,this is my query;

      for($j=0;$j<5;$j++):
       $result=mysql_query("select * from user where SponsorID='$id[$j]' ");
      endfor;

      in  above code when i   print  mysql_num_rows($result) inside for loop its output is  5.when i  print outside the for loop its o/p is 0.I searched weberdev.com website  and declared  $result as global.but same output 0.i want $result  variable to be  available outsibe the forloop and  all other  part of my code.i am looking forward suggestions from ur side.

                                                                   A.suresh

 Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket